Thursday 8 May 2014

Give me Thin Mints, or Give Me Something Like Thin Mints

I've been in the UK for nearly five years now, (six if you count that eye-wideningly educational year in university), and I'm not sure why the urge for Girl Scout cookies is only hitting me hard now. It might be because that I've found myself wanting things I can't have (Of COURSE I love Tootsie Rolls. I've always loved Tootsie Rolls. I'm going to buy some Tootsie Rolls. Why the hell did I say I liked Tootsie Rolls?).  It might be because Facebook is inundating me with posts about my American friends kidnapping girl scouts for their biscuit haul.* I'm not sure.

But to come down to it, I was feeling jealous, so I thought I'd try to make some of my own.

*Possibly slight exaggeration. 

NOT THIN MINTS
(adapted from King Arthur Flour's Chocolate Peppermint Snaps Recipe)

Oops...forgot to take photos until this was the only one left...



Dough
  • 170g unsalted butter
  • 110g brown sugar
  • 100g granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
  • 180g plain flour
  • 20g cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Chocolate Coating
600g approx 50% Chocolate
40g unsalted butter

Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° for a fan oven). Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
Beat butter and sugar. Add egg, beating well to combine. Add vanilla and peppermint and beat in.
Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Sample dough and eat way too much of it before deciding whether or not you want to add any more peppermint extract. I added about another 1/2 teaspoon.
Drop cookie dough by generous teaspoonful onto baking sheet, allowing 1-2" between cookies. Bake for 12-13 minutes and transfer to rack to cool. Cookies should be crisp when done.
When cookies are cool, melt chocolate and butter in microwave and stir to combine. Use a spoon to coat the bottom of each cookie and place on parchment paper. Use spoon to coat each top and allow to harden at room temperature.
Store in fridge in airtight container.

...except this one that managed to mysteriously escape my plate and lodge itself to the kickboard beneath the kitchen sink. So I promise that the chocolate will set!

No comments: